(** updated: 6:00 pm)
We interrupt this hiatus to confirm the obvious: FOX news makes you stupid.
As I addressed previously, a 2003 study from the University of Maryland found that FOX news viewers are significantly more ignorant than people who primarily get their news from … well, anywhere else. A follow-up study is now available with data that demonstrates FOX is better than ever. And “better” in FOX parlance means it’s now even more effective in dumbassifying its audience.
Some quick highlights of the misinformation and you can then read the survey for yourself.
- 91 percent believe the stimulus legislation lost jobs
- 72 percent believe the health reform law will increase the deficit
- 72 percent believe the economy is getting worse
- 60 percent believe climate change is not occurring
- 49 percent believe income taxes have gone up
- 63 percent believe the stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts
- 56 percent believe Obama initiated the GM/Chrysler bailout
- 38 percent believe that most Republicans opposed TARP
- 63 percent believe Obama was not born in the U.S. (or that it is unclear)
Yikes. Stupidity of that magnitude takes vigilant, determined effort.
We now return you to, er, my hiatus.
* hat tip to Julia for the aforementioned study.
** Update: Michael Clemente, FOX’s senior vice president of news editorial, responded to the study by telling the New York Times: “The latest Princeton Review ranked the University of Maryland among the top schools for having ‘Students Who Study The Least’ and being the ‘Best Party School’ – given these fine academic distinctions, we’ll regard the study with the same level of veracity it was ‘researched’ with.”
The only problem is that Mr. Clemente is wrong. What the Princeton Review actually says is that the University of Maryland ranks among the “Best Northeastern Colleges.” It was No. 19 on the Review’s list of “Best Party Schools.”
So there ya have it. FOX News excuses its misinformation with … misinformation.
Only at FOX, folks.